Every individual has a unique talent and we usually fail to identify the talent and also hesitate to follow our passion. As we feel more secure in following the mass. That ultimately ends up with dissatisfaction in career.
Now it’s the time to change our mindset. As there are a number of career options which give a platform to follow our passion and live our dream life. Interior designer courses are one among them. After pursuing an interior designer course, the most popular career profile is Interior designer and Interior decorators.
Interior designer works to make the available place may be home or work place more aesthetic and comfortable. They work on layout planning, furnishing, color scheme with their artistic approach and creative vision to offer delight and joy to their clients.
Some people look for a beautiful place and others make a place beautiful.
Interior designers with their creativity and artistic approach make the place beautiful.
What qualifications do you need to be an interior designer?
To be a successful interior designer there are different sets of courses available like UG, PG, Diploma and short term courses. All courses have different eligibility criteria. However for UG and diploma courses 10+2 is the qualification criteria, some colleges specify mathematics as one of the subjects in 12th.
For PG the education qualification eligibility is any degree.
The other criteria are the passion, skill, drawing aptitude, Design and color sense.
Do you have an artistic eye with the creative vision and designing skill, and then here you are with the best career option after 12th as Interior Designer.
Interior designer makes the interior space more aesthetic and functional by their creative and designing skill.
Why Interior Designer?
Interior designer profession is extremely growing and the demand for interior designers is increasing at its own pace.
In the present scenario where there is huge competition in all fields, The Interior designer course is the best career choice for those with designing skill, Creative vision and artistic passion.
Design is where Science and Arts break even
What are the Interior designer courses?
Here are some of the trending interior designer courses after 12th.
The aspirants can look for undergraduate followed by post graduation. However some of popular Diploma courses can also be considered to insight the practical and professional skills in Interior designing.
Interior designer course details
Her is the insight to the different courses offered by different institutes.
1. B.Arch interior design is Bachelor of Architecture in interior design is five years undergraduate course in Fashion and interior design. Aspirants can seek the admission in B.Arch interior design through national level entrance exams such as JEE Mains, JEE advance, NATA and BITSAT.
2. B.Des is Bachelor of design in interior design. It is a 4 years undergraduate course for aspirants after 12th class.
3. B.Sc in Interior Design is Bachelor of science in interior design, 3 years course.
4. B.Sc (Hons) interior design is Bachelor of Science Honours in Interior Design. It is also a 3 years course.
There is a kind of hesitation among students to opt for the Diploma programme when there are many bachelor courses available.
Diploma courses have their own advantages. These are short term courses of 1-2 years. Mainly focus on training and practical aspects rather than theoretical knowledge.
Diploma in Interior Design, Diploma in Architecture, Diploma in Interior design and display are some of the diploma programmes of one year duration. Aspirants who are looking for job oriented courses short term courses can think of these diploma courses.
Colleges offering Diploma courses in Interior Design
1. JD Institute of Fashion Technology (JDIFT)
2. Apeejay Institute of Design (AID), New Delhi.
3. Aditya College of Design (ACDS), Mumbai Maharashtra.
4. International Business School Washington (IBSW), Bengaluru, Karnataka.
5. International Polytechnic for Women (IPW), New Delhi.
6. Ellen School of Arts and Design, Jaipur, Rajasthan.
7. Vogue Institute Art and Design (VIAD), Bengaluru, Karnataka.
Post graduation course after Degree
Some of the reputed colleges offer Master courses. To seek admission in postgraduate courses, students with a Bachelor degree should clear the entrance exams conducted by College/Universities.
1. PG program in interior design and styling.
2. M.Des (Masters in design in furniture and Interior design)
3. M.Sc (Master in science in Interior Design)
4. MBA in Interior Designing
Can I be an interior designer without a degree?
If you wish to go for any long degree but are still looking for an interior designer as a career there here you are with the short term courses. Certificate course in Interior design is a short term course. These are 6 months to 1 year courses for interested candidates which focus on the practical aspect of Interior designing. The certificate courses are offered by many reputed colleges. Interested students can seek admission through entrance exams conducted by the college.
1. Amrita Multimedia Academy, Kollam.
2. Auxilium School of Interior Design, Chennai.
3. Lakhotia Institute of Design, Hyderabad.
4. Arch College of Design and Business, Jaipur.
5. Gandhi Institute of Fashion and Textile, Ahmedabad.
Skill Required for Interior Designer course:
Interior designer aspirants need to be creative and should have ability to visualize, Drawing aptitude, color sense, design sense, updated knowledge of texture, material and trends. They should be able to deal with the technical skills, work within the available budget. Apart from this good communication and team work quality.
Entrance exams for Interior designer course:
- AIEED (All India entrance examination for design)
This exam is conducted by ARCH College of design and business to offer courses for undergraduate and postgraduate design programmes.
- GD Goenka DAT (GD Goenka Design Aptitude Test )
Candidates looking for undergraduate and postgraduate design programmes offered by GD Goenka University School of fashion and design (SOFD) need to clear DAT (Design aptitude test) GD Goenka SOFD also accepts CEED and NID entrance exam scores for admission.
- Pearl academy entrance exam
Pearl academy offers various UG, PG and Diploma programmes and aspirant can secure admission in any of these programmes by clearing the written entrance exam and interview round.
- CEPT Entrance Exam
Centre for environmental planning and technology (CEPT University) conducts an entrance exam for UG and PG programmes for interior design.
- SEED (Symbiosis Entrance Exam for Design)
Symbiosis International University offers B.Des programme at Symbiosis institute of Design (SID) and Symbiosis school of planning Architecture and Design (SSPAD). Aspirants can seek the admission through the aptitude test SEED (Symbiosis Entrance Exam for Design)
- NID (national institute of Design)
NID conducts Design aptitude test for admission in B.Des (Bachelor of Design), GDPD (Graduate Diploma Programme in Design), and M.Des (Master of Design). NID entrance test includes prelims and mains exam.
- IIAD Entrance Exam
Indian Institute of Art and Design in collaboration with Kingston School of Art at Kingston University, London conduct IIAD entrance exam and performance in Studio stimulation (for UG courses)/ personal interview rounds (for PG courses). It offers undergraduate and postgraduate design programmes.
- CEED (Common entrance examination for design)
Common entrance examination for design (CEED) organized by IIT Bombay
For MDes (Master in design) and Ph.D programme ( Doctorate degree).
- UCEED (undergraduate common entrance examination for design
Undergraduate common entrance exam for design (UCEED) organized for B.Des programmes at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad, and IIITDM Jabalpur. Students who have passed class 12th in any stream Science, commerce, Arts and humanities.
- DEED (DJAD entrance exam for design)
DEED is organized by DJ academy of design for the aspirants of B.Des and M.Des programmes.
- GLS institute of Design DAT ( GLS institute of design- Design aptitude tests)
Design aptitude test (DAT) conducted by GLS institute of design for B.Des and Integrated M.Des programmes.
- MDAT (Manipal university design aptitude test)
Manipal University conducts MDAT for the aspirants of B.des and BA interior design.
List of colleges offering Interior Designer course:
- Indian Institute of Art and Design (IIAD), Delhi
- Pearl Academy, Delhi.
- Vogue institute of art and design, Bengaluru.
- CEPT University, Gujarat.
- JJ school of Arts, Mumbai.
- National institute of Design, Ahmedabad.
- Arch Academy of Design, Jaipur.
- College of Architecture, Nashik.
- IIT Bombay.
- IIFA Lancaster Degree College. Bengaluru
Job profiles for Interior designer
Interior designer can serves in various disciplines in their employment career:
1. Interior and Spatial designer
2. Production designer
3. Architectural technologist
4. Event manager
5. Exhibition designer
6. Production designer
7. Textile designer
8. Furniture designer.
9. Lighting Designer.
10. Visual Merchandisers
Under various companies/ industries like
Interior designer companies, Construction companies, Designing consultancies, Architectural firms, Event management companies, Exhibition centers, Set Designing companies for theatre, Film or TV etc.
Top Interior Designer companies:
Interior designers can work as freelancers or can look for any job in companies. However, initially it’s good to work in a company to get good exposure and experience in the field. It will also add value to your resume
- Ace Interiors
- Design Café
- SOBHA interiors
- Bonito Designs
- Carafina Interior Designers
- De Panache Design
- Film Factory
- Urban Ladder
- Tag concepts
- Effervescent Technologies Pvt.Ltd
Interior designers are qualified, skilled and trained home makers. They make our living place and workplace more pleasant and beautiful. So those who are passionate about doing this with the desired skill can think of Interior designer courses.
For any queries can contact: [email protected]
1. Does interior design require drawing?
Yes, the aspirants of interior designer courses should have a drawing skill. As
the base of this course is layout planning, and design.
2. Can we do an Interior designer course online?
There are some colleges which offer Interior designer courses online. Like the Delhi
Design Academy. Other than this many online certified course are also available at
Skillshare, Udemy, Linked learning, Oxford Home study, Shaw Academy.
3. Why do we need an interior designer course?
If you dream of an Interior designer career, then an interior designer course is a must.
Interior designer course is the way to give a proper shape and platform to your skill
and talent. And more over the education qualification will add value to your skill and
talent which leads to a successful interior designer profession.